Monday, November 17, 2008

Being God's Clown

I let my imagination wander quite a bit, quite often. I can't help it... it gets bored too quickly if it's not allowed to explore new territory. It always comes back tho, and then tells me what it saw. Sometimes it's quite entertaining, sometimes enlightening, and sometimes downright frightening.

Today it wandered off early this morning and let me work in peace. Just a few minutes ago it came back and began to describe something so deliciously obvious I'm amazed I hadn't thought of it before (then again, maybe I have thought of it before and just conveniently forgot... more on that later).

There's a condition called "Coulrophobia" which is, basically, the fear of clowns. Now, as wikipedia describes it, it is the abnormal and exaggerated fear of clowns. I would have to agree with this description based on what my imagination reported to me. Why? Because based on it's finding, I am one of God's Clowns.

What on earth is more important to a creator than it's creations? The answer is nothing. We were made in the image of the creator so we already know this because what we create is pretty darned important to us too. Us clowns are here to make you laugh and distract you from the monotony of the machine for a while so you don't completely lose it. Here are some definitions for the word clown as a noun as defined by dictionary.com:

  1. a comic performer, as in a circus, theatrical production, or the like, who wears an outlandish costume and makeup and entertains by pantomiming common situations or actions in exaggerated or ridiculous fashion, by juggling or tumbling, etc.
  2. a person who acts like a clown; comedian; joker; buffoon; jester.
  3. a prankster; a practical joker.
  4. Slang. a coarse, ill-bred person; a boor.
  5. a peasant; rustic.

Other than the slang entry, none of these entries really bother me. In fact, they define me quite well, I'm proud to say. My mother has told me on more than one occasion that when I was born she had an overwhelming sense of joy. Well, for goodness sakes, I got started early in my spiritual career, didn't I? Without us clowns, the world would indeed be a very boring place. It would be the machine without the joy, the laughter or anything that makes the machine worth having in the first place.

So how many clowns are there? A LOT actually! I see more and more every day. I admit, I've not been a very good clown on this planet lately. I've felt really down, depressed, unloved and unwanted based on events that have happened over the past few years. However my imagination reminded me that I am giving God a good hearty laugh with how serious I've been trying to be lately. That very fact brought me joy and brought about the realization that it is my life's work to be a clown... even without my knowledge, really. Being a clown is instinctual, apparently.

I read a story recently about a poor man who is a "real clown" by profession. I say poor man because his government is beginning to put restrictions on what he can use to entertain people. No balloons because latex can causes severe reactions in a small minority of people... no bubble machine because it costs to much to insure in the event of someone slipping... no twisting balloons into guns because it might encourage violence. Getting hurt by a trick gone awry or a machine malfunctioning is part of the risk in being a clown, though.

The thing is, no one denies the construction worker, electrician, highway worker, fireman, policeman, etc. of the hazards they face in their jobs. They know the risks of their professions and accept them with gladness for the opportunity to serve in the capacity they want to serve. Every clown accepts their risks too. Including the risk of being hated, feared, banned, limited and generally socially mocked. That last one is pretty much in the job description to begin with.

So why the heck am I writing all this? Well, to make you aware of an inequity that exists that really needs to be corrected ASAP.

If a policeman gets shot ... he's given medical attention.
If a fireman gets burned ... he's given medical attention, too.
If an electrician gets zapped ... he's given medical attention as well!
If a construction worker or highway worker gets hurt ...well gosh-darnit... they get medical attention too!!!

No one worries about their emotional needs. Why is that? Because they don't work with emotions... hello? They work with guns, fire, water, electricity, pavement, steel, mortar... seeing a pattern here? Physical things.

But clowns work with emotions. That's their arena. So what happens if a clown doesn't get a laugh? What happens when a clown is feared, rejected or otherwise kept from doing what they were born to do? Nothing. Clowns have to suck it up and keep smiling, that's their job, after all. Smiling and laughing and making others smile and laugh are what clowns love to do. That's when they are at their best. But the clown needs medical attention at times too... just emotional medicine.

I'm not talking about a shrink. I'm talking about a smile, a hug, even a kiss... something to keep them going that reminds them that what they're doing is appreciated too. Being a clown isn't easy in a world that is becoming increasingly serious. But it certainly give us plenty of work. War, famine, violence, pestilence, disease et. al. create plenty of work for the clowns. We are the doctors of the soul.

Now, to live in this world, we all need food, water, shelter and creature comforts. Clowns are not exempt from this. So we clowns have to take jobs in the physical workforce, too. Sometimes we actually get to make being a clown as our work! That's heaven right there. Not all of us get those opportunities tho. That doesn't change the fact that we were called to be clowns too. That's the soul-calling.

So, please... the next time you see a clown's spirit in the eyes of a friend, a family member, a co-worker or even a total stranger, don't forget to at least smile at them. They just gave you a precious gift and just want a thank you in return.

Peace,
Jenna

No comments: