Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Battling Depression Again

When I get depressed, it's usually because I feel like I have no way out. For me, it's like being cornered. Some people fight, while others freeze up when they get boxed. For me, it depends on the situation.

For example, regarding my financial situation, I don't feel cornered, at all. I know that time will cure this ailment. I know what to do, how to do it. If I'm working on a project that is harder than I expected, I don't feel cornered (frustrated yes... but that's different). Eventually, I know I will find the answer.

When it comes to an inability to communicate effectively or interact socially, I get boxed in. There are those that I can communicate with very well... and those I simply can't. I don't understand this. Why is it that I am able to understand and make myself understood with some while others can't seem to grasp it... even when we're using the same language and even when we're under the same roof?

I've always said that the key to communicating with someone is learning how they communicate first, then you can communicate with them on their terms. That's usually better than trying to communicate with someone using your own dialog.

Apparently, to some, this looks like I'm copying them. Well, in a way, I am... but only in order to communicate effectively. I have no interest in being anyone but myself. And, here's a news flash, I'm not 100% sure what that is yet. Maybe everyone else has a road map to life... but I don't.

No comments: