Wednesday, May 31, 2006

2nd Day In Hell, Craziness At Home and Teaching Parents about Technology

It's been a busy day. I was supposed to meet my new employer for breakfast this morning but that didn't take shape. It's okay though because we eventually caught up with each other later and had lunch. So far, I like them. I'm planning to go see them at their offices tomorrow. I had two meetings today to try and help FHMS set up what they want to accomplish. It was amazing how little things have changed... but being in the position I am now in... I can better dictate how things should go. This is a good thing. This means, I might be able to actually get some work done now. When I saw how it was starting to go, I just ... took over the meeting, basically, and told them how we were going to do it. I was surprised at the response... it was pretty much welcomed. They seriously needed direction. They're scared about the migration because they don't know who will support it. But as long as I'm around (and they pay me for my time), I'll help support it.

The other nice thing here is that if I ever get tired of working with them, Unison can move me to another client. Yay! If I don't want to work, I don't... I don't get paid for it... but that makes sense. Anyway... I already said that before.

Earlier today I found out that one of my roommates who had been jobless for a while, finally got a job but within the same hour totaled his car. I felt so bad for him. Especially since the job is all the way on the other side of town. My quandary here (as it often is) is knowing where to draw the line between showing compassion for someone vs. enabling them. He still needs to have a job. It sucks that this happened... but he still needs to help me out if he's going to stay there. I just hope he does the right thing. I love him to death and just want to see him succeed.

Back at work... they want to fingerprint me again. Whee. It sucks but I guess I have to do it this time. I'm not doing it until after I hand over my paperwork to Unison tho. I want to be hired somewhere before they do a background check, find that I had a bad credit rating 4 years ago and decide I'm not bondable or something stupid like that. It's BS. Total BS.

There's other BS going on too in other friends' lives and it pisses me off to see it. Not that I'm a saint, by any means. I have my grand moments of stupidity. We can often see the speck in other peoples' eyes and overlook the log in our own. That's part of humanity, I guess. I try to be humble about it ... but sometimes I'm an ass. But I have good, caring friends that smack me when I need to be smacked and lift me up when I do something right... just as I do for them. Sometimes I get smacked more than I get lifted up... but that's when I'm being stubborn, usually. That's a very Ramsey trait, by the way.

Anyway... I also decided to help my parents install Yahoo Messenger tonite. Since I have the webcam with me and we've talked about it for... oh... forever... I figured now's a good time. *smirk* So... probably about 120 of my minutes for this month are gone now for that. Yay. Oh well. Life goes on. I'll deal with it. Anyway, we got it so they could see my cam and now my dad's motivated to get his working. He thinks it's pretty cool... which of course... it is. *grin*

Anyway, that's about all for now. I'm going to watch a movie or something and relax a bit. More Later.

No comments: