Friday, August 11, 2006

Everybody, Anybody, Somebody and Nobody.

This is a little story about four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody, and Nobody. There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it. Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it. Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job. Everybody thought that Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn't do it. It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

I love this story. I remember reading it a long time ago (when I was VERY little) and thinking it was very clever. Nowadays, it's more meaningful, of course. Later on, there was even a song I listened to that echoed the same idea. The chorus went like this:

Everybody said that anybody could do / The important things somebody should do / Everybody knows that anybody could do / All the good things that nobody did

It's hard being nobody. Being somebody is pretty easy, actually. All ya gotta do is complain about what nobody did. Being everybody is even easier. But being nobody... well, that's where things get done and all ya get is shit about it because somebody thinks everybody should be doing what nobody did.

The question I always have to ask myself is which one of these four people am I today? I try to be nobody. It pays off (if you can deal with the shit you get for it) simply by seeing the results of what got done. But how do you share that with somebody when they're just going to complain ... or everybody when you know they could/should have done it themselves and will just end up blaming somebody? Sharing is definitely caring... but sometimes caring hurts too much when there aren't any other nobodys to share it with.

Sometimes my priorities are out of whack. Sometimes I'm forgetful. Sometimes I'm VERY tempted to be somebody or everybody. But I'm happiest when I'm nobody. The only thing that makes me happier is to be a nobody for another nobody. I know a few nobodys. But they all have a somebody (yes... I picked that word specifically). I know a lot of somebodys too, and try to stay clear of them... but they're attracted to nobodys, ya know. I don't know everybody, nor do I want to.

I'd say somebody will get this, but I doubt it since they'll be too busy complaining about the fact that I wrote it... and I know everybody won't get this. Anybody could get it... but nobody will absolutely get it.

So... who are you?

No comments: