Friday, March 30, 2007

The Week In Review

Okay... so here it is in a nutshell.

Other than my usual "life is good except when interrupted by it nagging me that something weird is out there and you still haven't figured it out" rant... this is what's happened this week.

Monday my brother, his wife, their youngest and her friend from school came to town for vacation. They stayed until today and left this morning. Monday night we went to eat at the ponderosa, bought some booze and chilled out in their hotel room.

Tuesdday I took clothes with me to change in to after work and left from work to go straight to see my family. We decided to go to CiCi's pizza for dinner and then on to WonderWorks (an upside-down museum on international drive). That's when it hit me that I am not anything like my family, not really.

We decided, after dinner, that we would take the I-Drive bus from the hotel up to Wonderworks. By the time we got to the closest bus stop, the bus had just left. There was a homeless man there who was looking for money for food. He didn't have a sign and was obviously someone truly down on his luck. My heart went out to him. My brother, who was one of the ones that taught me about Christ's love and what it meant to be neighborly, etc., suggested that we go to the next bus stop. I asked why. The homeless man piped up again about his hunger and then my brother said "That's why" under his breath.

This bothered me a lot. I told him that the man wasn't hurting anyone and that he didn't know anything about him anyway so what's the big deal? My brother was insistent. I looked to my right and there was a Denny's there. I asked my brother how long til the next bus shows up. He said 15 minutes. I said okay, I'll meet you there.

I went in to Denny's and asked for the quickest sandwich and fries they could make. 8 bucks. I took it out to the man who had fallen asleep on the bench. When I woke him up there was fear in his eyes and simply said in a calm voice, "Sir, please do not go hungry tonight." And gave him the bag. He looked at me rather incredulously and thanked me and then began asking me to pray for him. Now I felt awkward. My beliefs are in flux about all that but with his insistence I could tell it meant something to him for me to pray for him. So I did. I grabbed his hand with one hand placed my other hand on his head and prayed for him. I could tell he hadn't bathed in a while and really needed some help. I prayed for his guidance and his safety and then went to catch up with my family. The man called out to me saying "Bless you!" and began to eat.

I got to the bus stop just in time to catch the bus with the family. Great timing. :)

The rest of the night went well and my brother didn't say a word about it. In fact, he didn't even say anything after I told him what had just happened. He was just worried about getting to the museum on time.

I understand that he's afraid of the unknown. But something is only unknown until you learn about it. That takes risk and sacrifice sometimes. The homeless man wouldn't have hurt us. He was just hungry.

I took Wednesday off and treated my family to Universal and Islands of Adventure. Being an annual-pass holder I got the tickets at half-price which is better than I expected. We had a blast and I lost my voice. Katie (my niece) wouldn't go on any of the "scary rides" with me but her friend Chelsea did. She and I had the best time of all of us there I think. I only say that because I didn't see the genuine look of fun or the vibe from them as I did from Chelsea. Not sure what it is exactly but I know it wasn't there.

That night we went to dinner at TGI Friday's with my nephew's ex-girlfriend who lives down here. It's a little weird... she's married now... but she still comes to see Andy from time to time and it's just... well it's just weird. Andy is still in love with her and won't let it go and it's just messy. Anyway... Andy wasn't there so it wasn't a problem. After that they came over briefly to see the house. There was some weird tension going on there. Like... no one really felt comfortable. It was odd. But then, I don't feel comfortable in mom and dad's house anymore either. I dunno... it was just strange. After I showed them the place we headed back to the hotel where my car was. I decided to say my goodbyes then and give them a day to themselves. Didn't hear a word from them yesterday or today so... I guess everything's okay. No news is good news, right?

Before I get into yesterday, I'll finish up some other news. We had a murder in the house. The ringnecks took it upon themselves to kill the little yellow parrotlet on Monday. Apparently the poor guy suffered for about 45 minutes before it died. Josh was ready to ring the ringnecks' necks. But of course, that didn't happen. I'm not sure if it would've bothered me if he did... I liked that little yellow bird and I think the ringnecks are getting off easy.

The pump died again and had to be fixed. Josh's internet went wonky. The pool got clogged and had to be unclogged by servicemen. Josh's provider of the insulin pump contacted him saying that they didn't get their money (even though I gave them my Amex number). Just stupid things happening at home while I was away. Most of that is all resolved now, though.

My mouth still hurts from getting whacked in the face by Taylor's unintentional head-butt. I think I'll probably have to see a doctor about it... don't want to... but I'll probably have to.

Okay, so last night Josh's friend Brent came over. He's living out of his car right now but trying to get his own place. Liz was playing The Sims Online and asked me to join. So I brought my laptop out and started the download. Took 4 hours to download and another hour and a half to get it to connect and verify me. During this time we got slowly hammered and watched some Dave Chappelle, The New Guy and Jawbreaker (which is a FUCKED UP movie). All the while, Brent is trying to pour on the charms on me. It was funny because just before his amorous needs kicked in, he was going on about his disdain for homosexuality and I was thinking... heh... if you knew what I know you'd start questioning yourself. Here he was... talking about how he hated being hit on by guys... and then turns around and starts hitting on me... expecting me to be okay with it. I should've told him... but I didn't want to cause a problem between he and Josh... didn't want him to go blaming Josh for not telling him, etc., blah blah blah.

Mind you, the attention was not wasted. I did enjoy it but at the same time that's not what I was setting out to do that night. I just wanted to chill, relax, watch a movie and play a game... but not that kind of game. So I wrestled with my feelings for a bit and worked it out until he decided to go sleep in his car... in our front yard. A little stupid, I think.

I know what he was after and even if I were to give up something like that I'm not giving it up to someone pushing my emotional and physical buttons without showing something real in return. I know what he "needed" and I'm tired of being an easy button. But the attention DID feel good. Heh... that's for sure. But from now on, ya gotta show me something real... make it count. Then, I might be willing to take ya to fantasy island with me. :)

At any rate, now it's Friday and I've been given a shitload more work to do. So, I gotta close this and get something done. Later bitches. :)

No comments: