Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Interpret This

I stole this from a lyrics site. I was listening to DJ Tiësto, In My Memory, this morning on the way in to work and this song came on. It's a very pretty song with a lot of heartfelt longing, emotion, feeling, etc. There are a couple of ways to interpret this song.

1. Sad, Whiny, Emo. It's about someone who can't be enough for themselves. The storyteller tells about how none of the time she's spent in her life has been well spent and all the moments in her life are just adding up to a pile of pictures with no one to share the memories with. It's truly sad in that respect but also extremely infuriating that she can't see what's right in front of her. She's standing close to someone who isn't moving away. This person isn't asking for anything other than to share the moments together and yet she still can't be happy because she doesn't feel alive. What's it going to take? What does it take to "feel alive?"

2. Thankful, Happy, Peaceful. The storyteller describes what her life's been like and how getting wrapped up in emotions feels great and all but eventually it fades and the rollercoaster comes crashing down again. Looking back, she wonders if that time was really "well spent" or not. Now, she's just thankful to be standing close to someone that isn't moving away but isn't moving closer either. The fact that she doesn't feel that alive anymore isn't a complaint... it's a sigh of relief. She's saying she likes the idea that love isn't the answer... SHE is the answer.

Interpretation and Perception is, once again, the key and it is usually driven based on how we're feeling at the moment. Oh yes. So in the same way that drugs and alcohol amplify our moods, so does music... it's a wonderdrug. Being able to step back and look at the many different ways something can be interpreted allows us to find the interpretation that works best for us based on what our ultimate goals are. If you want to wallow in a sea of self-pity and get nothing accomplished in your life, pick the first interpretation. If you want to be happy, feel at peace and complete so that you can move on... pick the second one. Got another interpretation? Add it here. I'd like to hear it.

Peace,
Jenna





I wouldn't call it time well spent
Repeating to myself again
Find comfort in an endless stream of moments
I don't even care, about the way I feel today
Because it changes anyway
Something will make me cry or smile
Another picture on my pile

Now I'm standing close to you
It's just something that I do
When I need love to be enough
I wish love could be enough
'cause there is nothing more appealing
Than the thought that I could be enough

Do you find solace in the sun?
Do you consider life as one?
Do you believe there is a limit
To how fast a man can run?
Someone said you're born alive
Well I don't feel that alive

No I don't feel that alive

I don't feel that alive

Now I'm standing close to you
It's just something that I do
When I need love to be enough
I wish love could be enough

'cause there is nothing more appealing
Than the thought that I could be enough...enough

No comments: