Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The Screwtape Letters

Just a quick note (yes, I know I'm supposed to be leaving for work... shush) about a book I'm reading. I've read it before a VERY long time ago. My old copy was dog-eared and worn and I loved it so. But I couldn't find it and so I went to B&N and bought a new copy. It's called The Screwtape Letters and I HIGHLY recommend this book to anyone and everyone.

It's a... collection of letters written by a senior demon named Screwtape to a junior demon named Wormwood containing valuable information on how to win and keep a man's soul. Regardless of the mythology you spout, the teachings in this book of how darkness, drama, laziness, hatred, cowardice, falseness, etc. keep up from laughter and light and mirth are invaluable. When reading it, consider that the context is placed firmly within the camp of Christianity and just... go with it for a while... until you start really listening to what Screwtape is saying and can apply it within your own beliefs. I'm not suggesting you follow his advice... LOL... quite the contrary. I'm suggesting you listen to what he is saying and try to recognize your OWN demon's efforts in your life.

The opening of the book has two quotes which I have come to adore:

The best way to drive out the devil, if he will not yield to texts of Scripture, is to jeer and flout him, for he cannot bear scorn. -- Luther

The devil... the prowde spirite... cannot endure to be mocked. -- Thomas More


Take that with you today and life will be a little better, I promise. :)

Peace,
Jenna

No comments: