Sunday, July 15, 2007

Old Thing Done New

There is a danger to knowing too much about life. Once you figure it out, it's over. Of course, by that time, you've also figured out how to start it all over again regardless of what you've done to "screw it up" this time. That inherently means that there's no real way to screw it up. There is a story being told and unfolding in the way it is supposed to unfold. The story will be a good one, regardless.

As with any good story, there are times when times are rough. When things are REALLY good, things have to get REALLY bad again before the hero or heroine can, at the last possible moment, swing in and save the day to turn things around in a good way. Is it life imitating art? Art imitating life? Who knows. Maybe they are one in the same.

Last night some friends we've not seen in a long time came to visit and spend the night with us. We watched movies til dawn and talked about old times and new. We discovered new things about ourselves and each other. It was a fantastic time. There are new stories unfolding all around us all the time and they parallel the stories in our own lives. I've been very blessed to be a part of a great story so far. It has had it's thrills and chills. I used to be worried about how the story will end... but I've finally, and quite happily, come again to the understanding that I don't need to know... it will work out the way it always has ... for the best for everyone.

I just watched MouseHunt. I've not seen that movie in a LONG time. It's a great little movie and has a definite surprise ending. It's really not too surprising if you consider what the story was about to begin with. It all becomes tied together again in a nice, neat little package and all those involved in the great drama discover that when they let life's story unfold and play the roles they were meant to play... it all works out in the end. As my grandmother was fond of saying, "It'll all come out in the wash."

I know I'm being a little vague here. It is deference to those involved. The point of what I am saying is this. When things look bad... it's because they are. But they are bad for a reason... so that they can get good again. It may seem simplistic. It may seem ridiculous. It may even seem like it's traveling in circles. But the truth is, it is a way of getting from one story point to the next. It is how we learn.

To all my friends that have been involved in the story of my life... I am grateful and thankful for the roles you have played. Our rewards will all be just as they are meant to be. I hope that my role in your life's stories is as sweet to you as yours is to me.

Peace,
Jenna

No comments: