Thursday, October 4, 2007

Pandora

I recently started playing around with Pandora again. I forgot how much I liked it. As it's building a list of songs for you, it starts explaining why. This made me giggle today. I put in DJ Encore and it said:

"We'll start off with this track by DJ Encore which highly exemplifies his style which contains disco influences, romantic lyrics, female vocals, highly synthetic sonority, a tight kick sound, and prevalent use of groove."

For those of you who don't know what Pandora is... it's the public exposure to something called The Music Genome Project. It's a pretty cool idea... basically the concept is that each song has identifiable characteristics. The service can then use these characteristics to provide you with music that you'll love every time if you give honest feedback.

The thing is.. there's an ineffable quality to a track that exists in much the same way as the ineffable quality of life in a person. You either like it or you don't. You can hear another track that is technically very similar to one that you like and yet still hate it. It's the song's soul or spirit, if you will. Try and define it any other way, I dare you. :)

Anyway, just thought I would share. Back to work now.

No comments: