Monday, October 1, 2007

Le Weekend

Yes... the French call it "Le Weekend." I guess they're sorta like Hollywood... no new ideas brewing there.

Anyway, about my weekend. Well, let's start by backing up a little bit and filling in some things left out about Thursday.

All week I had been waffling about going out with Sadao to meet his dad. I just wasn't sure if it was something I wanted to do. My feelings about him have been in a state of flux for a long time and I was beginning to think that perhaps I should just leave well enough alone. But he really wanted me to go. On top of that, I wasn't sure whether or not my roomies had planned something or not... so I was just feeling blah about the whole thing.

When I got home, I started thinking more about it and decided that I really did want to go after all. So, I called Sadao and he and Brian and I went down to Melbourne. I got to meet his dad. His dad's a very VERY nice man and showered his son with gifts. He doesn't know how to relate to him and hence has made some suggestions that Sadao rejects, but he does love him very much.

After dinner, I helped clean up and his dad talked with me. He was very grateful that Sadao had friends to look after him. I felt kindof awkward at that point. I don't think we ever really feel older than our high-point of fun and friendship in life and always want to keep that going. So, it was quite natural when being around a 21 year-old bundle of energy to want to slip right back into those days of yore myself. But seeing the look of concern on his dad's face, I understood that he's worried for his son given his son's gentle heart and easily-taken-advantage -of nature.

Between then and now, my feelings for Sadao have definitely migrated more into a big sister/little brother realm and it's kinda fun that way. I never had a younger sibling so now I get the chance to be a teacher again.

So after dinner, we went out to Cold Keg. It's a little gay bar in Melbourne but for some reason they were playing Hip-Hop there. I was about ready to puke. Finally, the show started which was an amateur strip contest... and none other than Page King was hosting the show. I couldn't believe it! I was gratified to see her on my birthday and she bought me a shot. We ended the night by closing the bar and I took Brian and Sadao back to the parking lot at Boardwalk Bowl so they could get Brian's car and head home.

My head was still reeling a little from all that had transpired in meeting his dad. Hadn't sorted it all out yet.

Friday, I went in late as expected and did my thing. That night, I visited a friend of mine that was laid off from Radixx. He wanted to get copies of all my music so I took my portable drive over there. Lo and Behold, my drive suddenly stopped working. I was in a panic! All of my pictures, my original music, my documents, EVERYTHING was on that drive and had not yet been backed up!! I was beside myself. Carlos and I still had a good time together tho as we surfed the web and he ripped some of the CDs I had brought. I was fretting a little tho.

Saturday, Sadao and I went to Port St. Lucie to visit Jose and Nyssa and the bobbins. I took my turntables and some records and we visited, ate and danced. I started teaching Sadao how to spin records and he's starting to get the hang of it. He doesn't have beat-matching down yet, but his ear for mixing is interesting. By watching him, I learned a few tricks myself.

Saturday night, we went out to ReBar. Usually that's a fun place but this weekend it was HipHop nation again. What's up with HipHop at GAY bars? I'm so confused. Anyway, I was watching all the attention Sadao was getting and couldn't help but be a little jealous. I caught myself in this mode and struggled with it for a while. I could put together if I was jealous of him or them or what. I just knew I was in a rut and needed to get my shit sorted out.

Jose gave me a hard drive for my busted computer at home and found out that my other drive (the one I was just talking about) was fine... it was just the external housing that had failed. The only thing getting power was the LED light. Not even the USB port was getting power. So, I breathed a huge sigh of relief at that.

Sunday, we woke up and spent the morning spinning music again. Then around 2:00 we headed home. Got back to Orlando at around 4:30 and I crashed at his apartment until about 6:30. Got home and started putting my computer back together. It's just about 100% now. It's got the OS and drivers and all the required updates from Microsoft. Now I just have to get all my applications and such re-installed AND I have to back up that drive!!

And so with this semi-cathartic weekend behind me, I move forward into a new day that finds me tired. Sleepy, exhausted, etc. but somehow comfortable with the understanding of how things are. And so begins October of 2007.


No comments: