Friday, November 16, 2007

Get Over It

"Act your age!" "Dress your age!" "Be your age!" BAH! Yeah, so I'm wearing some beaded bracelets today and my macrame one. I went outside for a smoke and a co-worker asked if I'd been gettin' into the beads. I said, yeah and pointed out the ones I had made recently and then the macrame one. She said, "Well, if you ask me, the macrame one is more appropriate for your age."

Wheeeee!

Are there really things that are more appropriate for one age vs another? One gender vs. another? One body type vs. another? One lifestyle vs. another? WTF people?! GET OVER IT! Why on earth would you want to stop doing something you enjoy if you're still able to do it and you still enjoy it? Now, if you're not able to do it... then yeah... I understand. But making and wearing bracelets isn't exactly rocket science or strenuous activity. If you're not enjoying it anymore, then duh... stop... find something you do enjoy and stick with it until you don't anymore.

So how did I handle the situation? I looked at her and said, "That's your opinion." She said, "Yup, you're right." My opinion is different. Perhaps that's just the outlaw in me coming out but hell... I've done enough changing for people. This is just another example of the negativity I experience on a day-to-day basis. It's why I don't hang out with her on a daily basis or go to her house and such.

It's not about fantasy and puffy clouds and rainbows and all that. It's not dwelling in a fantasy land... at least not for me. It's as real as anything else is to me in this life. I understand the realities of this life too. I know what I've given up and what I've done for the sake of having someone else like me, whatever, blah blah. I'm not interested in making someone like me or keeping someone from not liking me. I'm just doin' MY thing. If you like it, hang out with me. If not, piss off... I'm too busy to listen to you kvetch about it.

Whew. Now that I've vented that crap I feel better.

Peace,
Jenna

No comments: